How is our program delivered?
- The Instrumental Program is offered through NT Department of Education primary, middle and senior schools.
- Not all instruments are offered at each school.
- Once applications for enrolment are processed students and schools are contacted to confirm your child’s place in the program.
- The program runs during school time and our teachers come to your child’s school.
- The program runs as a withdrawal program. Students come out of their regular class once a week for 30 minutes to attend their lessons in small groups.
- The program is designed to develop playing and listening skills and requires students to sing or play their instrument at home and to practise work that is set during lessons at school.
- Our teachers plan sessions based on the NT Music Syllabus. As a beginning student your child will be working towards our first level, Level 1.
- Students have the opportunity to be involved in performances at school, to join one of our after school ensembles once they are deemed ready by their teachers as well as access to NTMS events such as Play Days, Music Camps and community performances.
What’s the application process?
- You are required to fill out an online application form. Please ensure you have read all information in regards to enrolments.
- Once applications are received instrumental groups are allocated students based on group size and availability. Not all students will be accepted. These students are placed on waiting lists.
- In the first 2 weeks of Term 1 our teachers negotiate timetables with schools and go out to meet with students and distribute confirmation letters.
- Our confirmation letters will contain information regarding instrument hire, how to pay registration fees and some information about your child’s instrumental teacher.
- An annual registration of $50 is charged. This can be paid in person at the NT Music School (Sanderson Middle School Campus) or by phone or direct deposit.
- Students are then required to organize the necessary equipment as soon as possible so lessons can commence. Contact NTMS on 0889 635 550 for further information and payment details regarding instrument hire. Prompt attention to this matter so as to avoid disappointment
- Students are also provided with a Practice Journal. This journal is used to record weekly homework, your child’s practice at home and is used as a communication tool between your child’s instructor and home!
How can you support your child’s learning?
- Arrange a regular time and place for them to practise.
- Check your child’s practice journal on a regular basis.
- Encourage your child to look after their instrument.
- Help them to remember which day their lesson is on, and make sure they have the right equipment with them on the day – their instrument, practice journal, book and a pencil.
- Encourage your child as much as possible!
What instruments do we offer?
The following instrumental lessons are offered.
- Voice (Middle & Senior School only)
Some instruments may be hired through your school or the NT Music School. Instruments are hired out on a Semester basis. Please see below for NT Music School costs.
|Flute||$120 per semester|
|Clarinet||$120 per semester|
|Saxophone||$150 per semester|
|Trumpet||$120 per semester|
|Trombone||$120 per semester|
|Guitar||Student to purchase guitar & tuner on advice from teacher.|
|Percussion||$120 per semester|
|Voice||Tutor Book only|
* Please note that we recommend you do not hire or buy until your child’s placement in the program has been confirmed.
Once accepted into the program you will be required to;
- Pay the annual $50 registration fee by the end of Term 1
- Organise and pay for instrument hire by the end of Term 1
- Organise additional equipment as required by each instrument
- Students will commit to regular daily practice at home
- Students will commit to regular attendance at all lessons with the necessary equipment